Friday, July 17, 2009

All dressed up and no court date

I do my grocery shopping every week on the weekend, on Sundays to be exact. This becomes problematic when I enjoy a weekend out of town. Such was the case in early July. I spent 4th of July weekend with my sister in Lakeport, MI. While I was away someone stayed in my house to dog sit for Nahla. Couple the fact that I was out of town, so no grocery shopping, with the fact that someone was staying my house, that someone had to eat of course, there was absolutely no food in the house. All week I went out to get lunch since I had nothing to pack at home.

One day that week I decided to head to a little bagel place to pick up lunch. As I waited for my turn to order I decided I wanted a rosemary olive oil bagel with cheddar cheese, lettuce and spicy mustard. Pretty simple, nothing complicated. I stepped up to the counter, place my order and the guy (who was a manger) looked at me like I was crazy. He said “With all the good stuff we have here that’s all you want.” I said “Yup, that’s it.” As he was making my bagel sandwich he kept asking to add things, “How about ham? Oh, I have turkey. How about turkey?” Each time I politely said no. In my head I was thinking “Dude, just make my sandwich so I can get out of here!” Eventually he completed my order, I paid and quickly left. Geez, who thought getting lunch would be such an event.

My sandwich was excellent. So the next day I decided to be brave and go back to the bagel place. I braced myself for the same guy who waited on me the day before. I was very relieved, upon walking in, to see he wasn't there. I stepped up to the counter and placed the same order. The guy who helped me this time was also a manager. As he made my sandwich he was joking around. He wasn't funny but at least he wasn’t trying to get me to change my order. He and I walked over the register where he proceeded to ring me up. It came to $1.92. Since he thinks he is a funny guy he said "One hundred ninety-two dollars." I just smiled and gave him the money. Then as he was finishing ringing me up he said "You are all dressed up today." Today? As opposed to yesterday? Um, this guy has never seen me before. How does he know what I typically wear? Again, I just smiled. "Looks like you're going to court." What? Court? What the heck is this guy talking about?!?! There are office buildings in the vicinity of the bagel place, how has he never seen someone in a suit. I just responded with "It's a work day." I didn’t know what else to say. Then he said "You're the nicest dressed person who’s come in here today." On the outside I smile and said “Thanks.” On the inside I said “What is wrong with the people who work here? Seriously buddy, you’re flirting skills are as rusty as you are. Just give me the sandwich and let me leave.” He was so busy commenting on what I was wearing that he forgot to give me my change. So he opened the draw up again and said "Three hundred and eight dollars is your change."

All I wanted was lunch. What I got was lunch and a story.

1 comment:

The Westbook Times said...

ginger, I laughed outloud when I read your story. I love how I can hear you telling it when I read it. you crack me up!